|Eggplant Spinach Noodlefree Lasagna|
Eggplant Spinach Lasagna (Noodle Free)
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Is it strange that I don't like meat lasagna? I think I am probably the only one. I do love a vegetarian version that I made a month ago, recipe here : Lemon Basil Lasagna Roll Ups. Inspired by this, I decided to go for the noodless version featured here. After all the holiday eating this carb free just might be the way to go.
2-3 small to medium eggplants
2 cups of fresh spinach (I used baby spinach)
1 15 ounce container of ricotta (I used part skim)
Fresh basil (about 1/2 cup)
1 small can of tomato paste (12 ounces)
1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or pizza cheese)
Salt to taste
Dry oregano (optional)
1) Wash and dry eggplant. Slice eggplant the long way. Sprinkle with salt and leave for a while. The longer the better 20 to 30 minutes is great. Do not rinse.
2) Preheat oven to 425. Roast eggplant for about 10 minutes per side.
3) Mix ricotta with chopped basil. Reserve about 1/3 for garnish.
4) Spread about 1/3 of the tomato paste in a square dish. Top with eggplant and 1/2 the ricotta mixture. Top with spinach. Add more ricotta. Add another layer of eggplant. Top with remaining tomato paste. Bake at 375 uncovered about 15 minutes.
5) Cover with foil. Cook another 15 minutes.
6) Top with shredded cheese. Cook about 3-5 minutes till cheese melts. Garnish with remaining basil and cook a few more minutes.